develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from October 2011

Re: Starting a module's history from gitpan

From:
Buddy Burden
Date:
October 12, 2011 13:05
Re: Starting a module's history from gitpan
Message ID:
CAL0mxoS8LWN=CUpOhMMP7Cy84B2b7sznnmwSLxqTm=vLOq+0qg@mail.gmail.com
David,

> Out of interest, did you try asking the original author whether he has a repo
> knocking around he'd be willing to share with you, so you can maintain
> history?

I must admit, I did not.  Primarily because I was trying to keep my
message very short and not ask for much.  From my Googling around
while searching for a valid email address, I could see that he no
longer appeared to be programming (he is, in fact, the CEO of
Formspring[1]), so I figured the briefer and more to-the-point my
message, the better chance I had of not getting relegated to the spam
bucket.  Also, I figured that, since the latest version is from 2002,
whatever repo he might have (if he still had it) would have to be
converted to git anyway[2], so why not just use the gitpan version?
Anyway, that was my thinking.

            -- Buddy

[1] http://www.formspring.me/
[2] As, you know, git didn't exist yet back then.