develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from October 2011

Re: Starting a module's history from gitpan

From:
Buddy Burden
Date:
October 12, 2011 12:56
Re: Starting a module's history from gitpan
Message ID:
CAL0mxoRycBTxMqMDS4BkuH2vsBqCChRYC4qy2AEG+4FrR+++QQ@mail.gmail.com
Thanx everyone for the helpful replies!

Yanick,

>>  What I'm
>> wondering is, couldn't I just fork the gitpan repo for Data::Random[2]
>> and have that become my repo?  Obviously I would never plan on merging
>> it back, but that shouldn't matter, I don't think.
>
>    That would be the simplest way to go. That you would never merge back
> is no problem: anybody cloning or forking your project will only see
> the original commits  as part of your repo history, and no-one will
> ever be the wiser.

Okay, that's the main thing I was wondering.  I didn't know if somehow
GitHub would consider my repo to be a fork forever-more and that might
somehow have negative side-effects.  I didn't think so, but I figured
it couldn't hurt to ask.

> Or, if you want to clone the gitpan repo the easy way:
>
>    $ git cpan-import --gitpan Data::Random

Interesting ... are there advantages to that method over just forking gitpan?

            -- Buddy