develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from October 2011

Re: Starting a module's history from gitpan

From:
Yanick Champoux
Date:
October 12, 2011 06:34
Re: Starting a module's history from gitpan
Message ID:
8acd305100e2720423b3f99792c2f724.squirrel@babyl.ca
On 10/11/11 17:11, Buddy Burden wrote:
>  What I'm
> wondering is, couldn't I just fork the gitpan repo for Data::Random[2]
> and have that become my repo?  Obviously I would never plan on merging
> it back, but that shouldn't matter, I don't think.

    That would be the simplest way to go. That you would never merge back
is no problem: anybody cloning or forking your project will only see
the original commits  as part of your repo history, and no-one will
ever be the wiser.

    If you want to start afresh, you can use Git::CPAN::Patch (which is
what GitPAN uses under the hood to import the different releases of
the distributions):

    $ mkdir data-random
    $ cd data-random
    $ git cpan-import --backpan Data::Random

    and you will have the whole history under the branch 'cpan/master'.

Or, if you want to clone the gitpan repo the easy way:

    $ git cpan-import --gitpan Data::Random

Joy,
`/anick