develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from January 2010

Name space discussion Math::BestRotation

From:
Lutz Gehlen
Date:
January 30, 2010 22:18
Subject:
Name space discussion Math::BestRotation
Message ID:
201001311917.40313.lrg_ml@gmx.net
Hello everybody,
I have developed a module that computes the best rotation that maps
a set of vectors onto another set of vectors. "Best rotation" means
here that it minimizes the sum of the squared distances between each
two corresponding vectors.

The working title of the module is Math::BestRotation. The name is
not entirely accurate, because the module can also (if the user
chooses so) find the best orthogonal map (including rotations
combined with a reflection). So Math::BestOrthogonal or
Math::BestOrthogonalMap would be alternative names. However, I think
for people trying to find my module, the keyword rotation is most
helpful.

I'm not really looking for a new name, personally I am happy with
Math::BestRotation. This is rather a "request for comments" so to
speak. So if you have any comments, please let me know.

Thanks and best wishes
Lutz