develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from June 2008

Re: CPANTS has_test_pod* metrics

From:
Gabor Szabo
Date:
June 10, 2008 18:03
Re: CPANTS has_test_pod* metrics
Message ID:
d8a74af10806101803j71128286y50ba3a33e124dcb3@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Eric Wilhelm
<scratchcomputing@gmail.com> wrote:
> And further still:  the metric is based on finding the use of the
> "Test::Pod" and "Test::Pod::Coverage" modules, which provides zero room
> for improvement even if you want to engage in the questionable practice
> of duplicating information by including a couple of "blah.t" files in
> every distribution.

wow, I am glad as I am not the author of those metrics so I don't need to
defend them but saying that it "provides zero room for improvement" is
a bit strong.

First of all the CPANTS metrics are not some g-d given rules that if
you break them
your modules will be outcasts and noone will ever find them. I do hope
the metrics
will be taken in account when comparing between two "competing" solutions but
then these are still only 2 out of over 40 metrics.

Second, I sincerely hope that if you come up with another set of Test::MyPod and
Test::Pod::MyCoverage and notify Thomas Klausner about it then he will consider
including them as optional alternatives when checking for the given
kwalitee metrics.

With that said I have no idea how could CPANTS check that you lived up
your promise
and ran both

`./Build testpod`
`./Build testpodcoverage`

with success, prior to release.

I am not sure it even should as currently it only checks if Test::Pod is used
in one of the tests files and not even if that test is really executable.

I think CPANTS - in this case - is more of a tool that tries to draw
attention of the CPAN authors to the idea of tesing their Pod than a
rule to enforce the use.

So maybe they should be moved to be optional or a more fine
grained weighting system should be already implemented.
It certainly should say so in the explanation.

Gabor