develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from June 2008

Re: CPANTS has_test_pod* metrics

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
June 10, 2008 15:07
Re: CPANTS has_test_pod* metrics
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.0.9999.0806101705500.18777@urth.org
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> # from Dave Rolsky
> # on Tuesday 10 June 2008 10:23:
>
>>> All of my dists get their pod and pod coverage tested by the
>>> maintainer tool instead of "shipping boiler-plate tests which just
>>> happen to have certain sorts of names."
>>
>> The point is that you should ship a dist that is complete enough for
>> an end-user to untar it, hack on the distro, run all the tests, and
>> send you a patch.
>
> If installing Module::Build is too much trouble, they're going to have a
> hard time with that anyway.  If they can't be bothered to run `./Build
> testpod` and `./Build testpodcoverage`, that's not such a huge deal
> because it won't ship until those pass.  Certainly it isn't worth me
> maintaining ~100 files which might have the same content.

Well, I can say that _I'm_ not going to bother running those two targets!
My pre-release ritual does include running "prove -lr", so having pod.t
and pod-coverage.t among my tests is quite important for me.

I've gone to the trouble of disabling them for normal installs just to
shut up false failures.

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg