develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from June 2008

Re: CPANTS has_test_pod* metrics

From:
Eric Wilhelm
Date:
June 10, 2008 13:57
Re: CPANTS has_test_pod* metrics
Message ID:
200806101357.17089.ewilhelm@cpan.org
# from Dave Rolsky
# on Tuesday 10 June 2008 10:23:

>> All of my dists get their pod and pod coverage tested by the
>> maintainer tool instead of "shipping boiler-plate tests which just
>> happen to have certain sorts of names."
>
>The point is that you should ship a dist that is complete enough for
> an end-user to untar it, hack on the distro, run all the tests, and
> send you a patch.

If installing Module::Build is too much trouble, they're going to have a
hard time with that anyway.  If they can't be bothered to run `./Build
testpod` and `./Build testpodcoverage`, that's not such a huge deal
because it won't ship until those pass.  Certainly it isn't worth me
maintaining ~100 files which might have the same content.

--Eric
--
"You can't win. You can't break even. You can't quit."
--Ginsberg's Restatement of the Three Laws of Thermodynamics