develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from June 2008

Re: Fwd: New CPANTS metrics

From:
Eric Roode
Date:
June 10, 2008 12:21
Re: Fwd: New CPANTS metrics
Message ID:
5c2834e00806101221p672a670buea9c79a8dad68d57@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Thomas Klausner <domm@cpan.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Uh, wow, why do CPANTS discussions always start when I'm low on tuits...

Sorry :-)

>>    extracts_nicely: How much of a problem is this, really?
>
> A lot of people hate tarballs/zip-files that spew their content into the
> current dir. Especially if the offending dists contains lots of files.
> Or a file with the same name as one you had in the dir...

I can agree with that; I just question how much of a problem it is.

The cpants.perl.org site claims that 524 distributions fail this test;
however, at least one of those appears to be erroneous: My
Config::Vars module does indeed come packaged as a tarball that
unpacks into its own directory, yet it is listed as failing.

So I guess: consider this a bug report.  And perhaps there are other
distros that do not really have this problem.

[...]
>>    use_strict: Misguided.  "use strict" is a valuable tool for
>> developers, but it is not necessary (or even desirable) in all
>> circumstances.
>
> Huh? Do you us to head back to the funny times of Matts Script Archive?

Well of course not.  But "use strict" is simply a tool for helping
developers write modules and programs more correctly.

I guess it does show the end-user of a module that the module author
is smart enough not to shoot himself in the foot.  The module author
might be smart enough without strict.pm too, but how can one tell?
I guess that's the CPANTS logic.

>>    has_example: Possibly useful, but poorly implemented (or possibly
>> poorly documented).  Most modules that include examples do so in an
>> "Examples" section of the POD, not in a separate file or directory.
>> The has_example documentation implies that it'll only be satisfied by
>> a separate file or directory.
>
> Can you back up the statement regarding "Most modules .. do so in an
> Examples section"? If yes, I'd love to integrate the code you have
> written to do so into CPANTS, to make it even better.

I can't back it up statistically, only anecdotally: Many modules I've
used have "Examples" sections in the POD.  Very few have an Examples
directory.  (cpants.perl.org lists over 11,000 that do not meet this
metric).

Thanks for your feedback, Thomas.

-- Eric