develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from June 2008

Re: CPANTS has_test_pod* metrics

From:
Dave Rolsky
Date:
June 10, 2008 10:23
Re: CPANTS has_test_pod* metrics
Message ID:
alpine.DEB.0.9999.0806101222070.18777@urth.org
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> # from Dave Rolsky
> # on Tuesday 10 June 2008 08:20:
>
>>>   has_test_pod: Useless.  Why should every end-user have to test the
>>> correctness of the module's POD?  The original developer should test
>>> it, and the kwalitee metric should test that the module's POD is
>>> correct (no_pod_errors).  Including it as part of the module's test
>>> suite is useless.
>>
>> You don't need to make these tests run for the end user to get the
>> point. All of my dists (should) ship with a pod.t and pod-coverage.t
>> that only runs in "maintainer mode".
>
> All of my dists get their pod and pod coverage tested by the maintainer
> tool instead of "shipping boiler-plate tests which just happen to have
> certain sorts of names."

The point is that you should ship a dist that is complete enough for an
end-user to untar it, hack on the distro, run all the tests, and send you
a patch.

This is doubly (maybe even triply!) true for the many modules where the
authors do not maintain an openly readable source repo.

-dave

VegGuide.Org
Your guide to all that's veg