develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from June 2008

Re: CPANTS has_test_pod* metrics

From:
Eric Wilhelm
Date:
June 10, 2008 10:20
Re: CPANTS has_test_pod* metrics
Message ID:
200806101020.01512.ewilhelm@cpan.org
# from Dave Rolsky
# on Tuesday 10 June 2008 08:20:

>>   has_test_pod: Useless.  Why should every end-user have to test the
>> correctness of the module's POD?  The original developer should test
>> it, and the kwalitee metric should test that the module's POD is
>> correct (no_pod_errors).  Including it as part of the module's test
>> suite is useless.
>
>You don't need to make these tests run for the end user to get the
> point. All of my dists (should) ship with a pod.t and pod-coverage.t
> that only runs in "maintainer mode".

All of my dists get their pod and pod coverage tested by the maintainer
tool instead of "shipping boiler-plate tests which just happen to have
certain sorts of names."

> My definition of this is
> unfortunately a bit ad-hoc, but I know there's work to standardize
> this with an xt/ directory or something, and I'm sure CPANTS will
> account for this.

Perhaps.  Of course, just testing the pod and pod coverage would be more
definitive and *could* certainly be done without running the code.

--Eric
--
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
--George Santayana