develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from June 2008

Re: New CPANTS metrics

From:
Eugene van der Pijll
Date:
June 9, 2008 15:13
Re: New CPANTS metrics
Message ID:
20080609221255.GC592@alva.mail.gmail.com
Gabor Szabo schreef:
> Two days ago or so I posted a blog entry about the new CPANTS metrics.
> http://szabgab.com/blog/2008/06/1212827982.html

What is the purpose of the CPANTS Kwalitee metrics?

The most important reason for these kinds of ratings is to help users
find the best modules for a certain task. Kwalitee is almost useless for
this, because it only measures some sort of compliance with techynical
best practices, while leaving unanswered questions about usefulness,
completeness, etc. Cpanratings is much better at informing users of the
quality of CPAN modules.

So in my opinion, the main value of the Kwalitee metrics is not for the
users, but for the authors of a module. Those of us who play the
"Kwalitee game" will change and improve our modules to increase our
Kwalitee level. This works as long as we, the authors, can influence the
Kwalitee score of our modules. If too many of the Kwalitee points depend
on external factors, Kwalitee will cease to be an (somewhat) accurate
measure of the amount of work an author is willing to put into a module,
and it will no longer be a matter of pride for authors to get a high (or
even perfect) score.

Personally, if the debian related Kwalitee measures are accepted as core
indicators, I will no longer be interested in raising the Kwalitee of my
modules. This means I would lose part of my motivation to improve my
modules. Depending on whether you think Kwalitee correlates with
quality, this would be a pity.

Eugene