develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from April 2008

Re: Idea: CPAN Category Reviews

From:
Guy Hulbert
Date:
April 5, 2008 04:21
Re: Idea: CPAN Category Reviews
Message ID:
1207394484.29486.11.camel@cray.cotef.org
On Sat, 2008-05-04 at 14:02 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> In regards to the previous discussion about trimming down CPAN and finding

I don't think trimming is necessary if you are successful with this.
IMO the problem is just finding things, which your proposal addresses.

> better ways to find quality modules, I got an idea of making CPAN "category"
> reviews. The idea was originally derived from Freshmeat.net where they often
[snip]
> etc. he should note it. Now that I think about it, it may be a good idea to
> also define a machine-readable format (XML etc.) for the conclusions
> (possibly more) so they can be processed by the various CPAN interfaces.

not XML ... there already seems to be a format, viz:
	.cpan/sources/
	authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
	modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
	modules/03modlist.data.gz

so you could add:
	modules/04categories.gz

you'd also need a web interface at cpan.org

[snip]
> So what do you think - is there an interest in this?

Sure.  Can you write something more concise, and definite.  That would
make it easier to discuss.

> I'm attaching here a list of OOP modules I found on CPAN (probably not fully

That's a good choice for an example (again, IMO).

[snip]
--
--gh