develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2005

Re: Module naming mailing list? Was: Re: New module: FLV file parsing

From:
Austin Schutz
Date:
Re: Module naming mailing list? Was: Re: New module: FLV file parsing
Message ID:
20051204043956.GH28489@gblx.net
On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 12:22:16PM -0800, Ovid wrote:
> --- Austin Schutz <tex@off.org> wrote:
>
> > Ok, you and a few other vocal people have very strong opinions
> > about this, which I don't begrudge you. Can we move the
> > discussions to a different list?
>
> While I certainly agree that long discussions about how to name modules
> get tedious after a while, discussions of what modules do and what
> modules should be named are so intertwined that we'd be forced to
> bounce back and forth between the lists.
>
> The first thing that would happen on a "module naming" list would be
> someone asking "well, what does your module do?"  That's often followed
> by "there's already a module which does that" or "maybe it should do X
> instead".  Then that conversation would legitimately jump back here and
> would eventually jump to the naming list ... over and over again.  That
> would be even more tedious (hard to believe, I know).

	Yeah, I don't have an answer for this, and with the level of
importance some give detailed and debated naming, I guess we're stuck with it.

	Bring on the nits, let's get splitting.

	Austin