develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2005

Re: Module naming mailing list? Was: Re: New module: FLV file parsing

From:
Ovid
Date:
Re: Module naming mailing list? Was: Re: New module: FLV file parsing
Message ID:
20051203202216.85433.qmail@web60816.mail.yahoo.com
--- Austin Schutz <tex@off.org> wrote:

> Ok, you and a few other vocal people have very strong opinions
> about this, which I don't begrudge you. Can we move the
> discussions to a different list?

While I certainly agree that long discussions about how to name modules
get tedious after a while, discussions of what modules do and what
modules should be named are so intertwined that we'd be forced to
bounce back and forth between the lists.

The first thing that would happen on a "module naming" list would be
someone asking "well, what does your module do?"  That's often followed
by "there's already a module which does that" or "maybe it should do X
instead".  Then that conversation would legitimately jump back here and
would eventually jump to the naming list ... over and over again.  That
would be even more tedious (hard to believe, I know).

Cheers,
Ovid