develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2005

Re: New module: FLV file parsing

From:
Smylers
Date:
Re: New module: FLV file parsing
Message ID:
slrndp2kub.1g0.Smylers@stripey.com
A. Pagaltzis writes:

> * Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com> [2005-12-02 22:10]:
>
> > Eric Wilhelm writes:
> >
> > > I'm working on CAD::DXF for now,
> >
> > "Cad" is a well-known acronym.  I have no use for anything
> > cad-related in my life at the moment, so I know that I can
> > safely ignore that module.  But as it happens, referring to DXF
> > in the context of cad is enough to prompt me into recollecting
> > that .dxf is an AutoCad file extension.
>
> Are we reinventing MIME types now?

No.  Mime media types only apply to file formats; Cpan modules cover
much more than that.

> Let?s just stick with
>
>     Process::video::x_flv
>     Process::application::x_shockwave_flash
>     Process::image::x_dxf  <Snip>

But that's still grouping together all file-format-related modules
(under Process::), rather than grouping them by function.

It does make sense for CAD::DXF and CAD::Calc to be in the same
namespace as each other, and grouping all the file-format modules
together prevents that from happening, whether it's the truly awful FF::
or the mostly meaningless Process:: (surely nearly all Cpan modules
perform some kind of processing?).

DateTime::Format::Mail is a good name for a module; you can see that it
is part of the DateTime project and is for processing dates as used in
e-mails.  Naming it Process::RFC822::DateTime (or similar) is not an
improvement.

Smylers
--
May God bless us with enough foolishness to believe that we can make a
difference in this world, so that we can do what others claim cannot be done.