develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2005

Re: New module: FLV file parsing

From:
A. Pagaltzis
Date:
Re: New module: FLV file parsing
Message ID:
20051202223744.GI2824@klangraum
* Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing@gmail.com> [2005-12-02 00:20]:
> What all file format parsers and dumpers have in common is that
> they deal with File Formats.  In a lot of cases, the only
> module that is going to be created is for that format.  I'm
> working on CAD::DXF for now, but would rather name it FF::DXF,
> similarly with FF::SVG, FF::XAR, FF::PDF, etc.

I thought you were using “FF” as a shorthand for FileFormat on
which I had no particular opinion, but following discussion
indicates you actually proposed a literal “FF“ TLNS.

In that case, I am strongly -1.

It’s opaque without explaination, and even if you know what it
means, you can’t meaningfully search on it. Both are terrible
properties for a name.

Regards,
--
Aristotle
“Like punning, programming is a play on words.”