develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2005

Re: New module: FLV file parsing

From:
Chris Dolan
Date:
Re: New module: FLV file parsing
Message ID:
7A181EE4-81C3-425D-B3C6-6B3AB350D3BF@clotho.com
So, I already published it as FLV::Info, but this discussion has
convinced me that FileFormat::FLV is the best option.  I may use that
name for v0.02.  My only hesitation is that nobody else seems to be
using that top-level namespace at this time.

The FF:: namespace is a terrible idea, in my opinion.  I expect that
it will be meaningless to the majority of module searchers.  The
argument that search makes names irrelevant is just silly.  If that
were true, the practice of bouncing name ideas off this email list
would cease, and I'd just name it FLV.pm.

As for the Flash:: namespace, I don't think that's best.  While FLV
is primarily used in the Macromedia Flash Player, it is not Flash but
is a standalone video format.  That would be like naming a CSS
parsing module HTML::CSS::Parser, when CSS clearly has utility beyond
just HTML, despite its dominant usage.

Chris

--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software
(http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary
Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)