develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2005

Re: New module: FLV file parsing

From:
Smylers
Date:
Re: New module: FLV file parsing
Message ID:
slrndp1cfo.1g0.Smylers@stripey.com
Eric Wilhelm writes:

> # from David Nicol
> # on Wednesday 30 November 2005 02:18 pm:
>
> > isn't there a multimedia name space? ame spaces per-product that is
> > being supported make sense --- Flash::parseFLV perhaps?
>
> What else will appear in the Flash:: namespace?

It doesn't matter if nothing else appears there -- the module would
still have a name that's readily understandable.

> What all file format parsers and dumpers have in common is that they
> deal with File Formats.

Yes, but that isn't more relevant than the particular file format each
deals with.

For example, I'd be much more likely to first think that I'd be working
with Flash files, and then realize that I need to parse them, than to
start by thinking that I'm working with files that have a format, and
only then that the format is Flash.

> In a lot of cases, the only module that is going to be created is for
> that format.

And that causes what harm?

> I'm working on CAD::DXF for now,

"Cad" is a well-known acronym.  I have no use for anything cad-related
in my life at the moment, so I know that I can safely ignore that
module.  But as it happens, referring to DXF in the context of cad is
enough to prompt me into recollecting that .dxf is an AutoCad file
extension.

> but would rather name it FF::DXF,

Whereas if I saw that I wouldn't know what either set of letters mean;
"DXF" is sufficiently meaningful in my brain to make me think of AutoCad
without any context.  And "FF" could be one of many things: recently
I've seen it used to abbreviate "Firefox" in quite a few places; if I'd
just been reading some music (or trying to solve a crossword) I might
think of it meaning "very loud".

> similarly with FF::SVG, FF::XAR, FF::PDF, etc.

What does that achieve?  Putting all the cad-related modules makes good
sense to me, and similarly for other things.

> FF::FLV sounds best to me.

I wouldn't have a clue what that means.  I hadn't heard of FLV before
this thread, and I wouldn't guess "FF" without this thread either.

With Flash::FLV I still wouldn't know what "FLV" stands for, but I'd
have a clue as to its context -- enough of a clue to know whether I'm
interested in investigating the module further if it I see it in the
'recent uploads' list.

Smylers
--
May God bless us with enough foolishness to believe that we can make a
difference in this world, so that we can do what others claim cannot be done.