develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2005

Re: FF:: namespace (was: New module: FLV file parsing)

From:
Austin Schutz
Date:
Re: FF:: namespace (was: New module: FLV file parsing)
Message ID:
20051202210221.GM7172@gblx.net
On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 09:50:19AM -0800, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from David Landgren
> # on Friday 02 December 2005 08:25 am:
>
> >In about 10 days time, I'm going to forget utterly that FF means File
> >Formats. Does it need to be so terse?
>
> Considering the number of file formats which currently have toplevel
> names, FF:: isn't that terse.  Besides, search results should mean that
> you _don't have to remember_ what FF means.

	This is a good point, and sort of what I was thinking: If it can
be found via search, who care's what it's called? It's sort of like domain
names - once upon a time people might have thought to remember the name
of a website, but now, who bothers? Just pop what you want in google...
	As long as the name isn't taken and it has some amount of logic, I
doubt the name of a module makes any practical difference any more. It seems
like the days of poring over proper module names should come to an end.

	*shrug* Just a thought.

	Austin