develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2005

Re: New module: FLV file parsing

From:
A. Pagaltzis
Date:
Re: New module: FLV file parsing
Message ID:
20051130154942.GM30755@klangraum
Hi Chris,

I’ll make the assumption that whoever is going to look for the
module is most likely to simply query search.cpan.org for “FLV”.

On that basis, how descriptive are the ideas?

* Chris Dolan <chris@clotho.com> [2005-11-30 16:10]:
> So, is FLV::Info fine?

That sounds okay.

> Or File::FLV?  Or File::FLV::Parser?

I don’t think File:: is right for this.

In any case, File::FLV says nothing particular about the module.

Instead of File::FLV::Parser I’d suggest Parse::FLV. But putting
it under Parse:: means you’ll have to put modules in disparate
TLNSes if you ever write a module that supports things other than
parsing the format. If you actually plan to use the same codebase
for a family of modules that include support for manipulating as
well as parsing such files, that would be a silly choice.

> Or Video::FLV?

Sounds forced to me. The module doesn’t have to do much with
video per se, other than that the file format it parses is a
container for video data. So in essence, to the searcher, the
Video:: part is redundant.

Bottom line, it’s probably best to stick it in FLV::Info and call
it a day.

Regards,
--
#Aristotle
*AUTOLOAD=*_;sub _{s/(.*)::(.*)/print$2,(",$\/"," ")[defined wantarray]/e;$1};