develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2005

New module: FLV file parsing

From:
Chris Dolan
Date:
New module: FLV file parsing
Message ID:
3A1A7752-9E60-4CFC-91E8-17005A365F3D@clotho.com
I'm looking for naming advice.  I have created a new module that
reads Macromedia FLV (Flash Video) files.   It's primary purpose is
to extract metadata about the video files (number of frames, pixel
dimensions, audio settings, etc).  Currently at v0.01 it has no
support for editing or saving FLV files, but that's a future
possibility. (or perhaps as part of a separate module?)

I'm currently calling it FLV::Info in analogy to MP3::Info and
SWF::File.  I'd love to put it in the SWF namespace for better
findability, but I think that's just not right because SWF and FLV
are parallel file formats despite being closely related.

So, is FLV::Info fine?  Or File::FLV?  Or File::FLV::Parser?  Or
Video::FLV?

The current usage is like this:
     use FLV::Info;
     my $reader = FLV::Info->new();
     $reader->parse('video.flv');
     my %info = $reader->get_info();
     print "$info{video_count} video frames\n";
     print $reader->report();

Chris
--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software
(http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary
Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)