develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2005

Re: When CPAN shell cannot find a module

From:
David Golden
Date:
Re: When CPAN shell cannot find a module
Message ID:
438323B7.6030108@hyperbolic.net
> Also, "lack of distname support" is overblowing the situation.
> Distnames are supported perfectly fine as long as you put it in the
> proper syntax with author's ID and version.

I think the problem Jim encountered is that "proper syntax" is part of the
arcana of CPAN.  It's not obvious from the help:

>  a,b,d,m  WORD or /REGEXP/  about authors, bundles, distributions, modules
>  i        WORD or /REGEXP/  about anything of above
>  r        NONE              reinstall recommendations
>  ls       AUTHOR            about files in the author's directory

Something that clarifies that AUTHOR/DIST-VERSION is a valid format would
help.  Or rather, some specific example of what that WORD can be:

   where WORD is either a module, bundle or author name or a
   distribution name of the form AUTHOR/DISTRIBUTION-VERSION

It's vaguely alluded to in the CPAN perldoc, but only in the section
describing the four CPAN::* classes.

A doc patch would be a quick fix for this.

Regards,
David Golden