develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2005

[RFC] Pod2::Perldoc - new module proposal

From:
Enrico Sorcinelli
Date:
November 22, 2005 04:17
Subject:
[RFC] Pod2::Perldoc - new module proposal
Message ID:
20051122130946.40830700.enrico@sorcinelli.it
Hi all,

Pod2::Perldoc is an improved distribution of Perldoc, the program for reading
Pod documentation.

It's available at http://modperl.it/POD2-IT/Pod2-Perldoc-3.14.tar.gz

Pod2::Perldoc is the same of core Pod::Perldoc tool plus the advantage of some
improvements in order to support POD2::* translation packages[1]:

- It adds the -L switch that allows to define language code for the desired
language translation. If POD2::<language_code> package doesn't exists, the
effect of the switch will be ignored.

- With the translated pods, the useful perldoc's -f and -q switches still work.

Pod2::Perldoc doesn't override perldoc frontend, but installs a similar script
named 'pod2' under $Config{scriptdir} directory. These are several usage
examples:

   %> pod2 PageName
   %> pod2 -L it PageName
   %> pod2 -f BuiltinFunction
   %> pod2 -L it -f BuiltinFunction
   %> pod2 -L fr -q FAQKeywordRegex

See as usual:

   %> perldoc perldoc

for standard command line interface commands, options, examples and so on.

Why make an ugly, unmaintainable and suboptimal new distribution instead of
simply patching Pod::Perldoc? Italian Perl mongers posted a patch[2] several
times both to p5p[3] and perl-documentation[4] mailing lists without receiving
any attention or constructive criticism. We also wrote to Sean M. Burke directly
(he was also cc'ed in the list posts) with the same result. This is quite sad,
because it frustrates our efforts to spread and promote Perl in a Country where
also the English language should be spread better but unluckly isn't.

Of course, we'll be very happy to move immediately Pod2::Perldoc package to
backpan archive when our patch will receive some attention! :-)

Any suggestions/comments/criticism are welcome.

Regards

	- Enrico

[1] POD2::<language_code> CPAN packages contain translations of (core) Perl
pods. Currently there are POD2::IT, POD2::FR and POD2::LT packages available on
CPAN. Portuguese guys announced start of a new one[5] (I hope under POD2::
namespace).

[2] http://www.perl.it/blog/archives/Perldoc.pm-3.14-patch