develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2005

Re: When CPAN shell cannot find a module

From:
Chris Dolan
Date:
Re: When CPAN shell cannot find a module
Message ID:
3AD31A51-DBEC-4A16-8F4E-D2991EA3076C@clotho.com
On Nov 21, 2005, at 10:51 AM, Christopher Hicks wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Andreas J. Koenig wrote:
>> I don't think many people would appreciate getting something
>> installed they didn't explicitly ask for.
>
> Hmmm.  I can have extra pain every time I'm installing something to
> avoid occassionally getting something I don't want or I can have
> pain every thousandth time I install something because oopsie I got
> something extra. It doesn't seem like a hard choice to me.  Let's
> just say your many people aren't the same folks as my any people.  ;-)
>
> The lack of distname support due to anal retentive accident
> avoidance in CPAN is utterly odd considering the culture of DWIMery
> that is so much a part of Perl.  I'm not surprised that one person
> would think this was good, but the whole Perl community acquiescing
> to it is quite a shock.

Chris,

If CPAN made it easy to install unintended software by mistake, that
would be a huge security hole.  Some people run cpan as root.
Defensive programming is absolutely the right thing here.

Chris
--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software
(http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary
Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)