develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2005

Re: When CPAN shell cannot find a module

From:
Christopher Hicks
Date:
Re: When CPAN shell cannot find a module
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.63.0511211146220.7059@skippy.fini.net
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Andreas J. Koenig wrote:
> I don't think many people would appreciate getting something installed
> they didn't explicitly ask for.

Hmmm.  I can have extra pain every time I'm installing something to avoid
occassionally getting something I don't want or I can have pain every
thousandth time I install something because oopsie I got something extra.
It doesn't seem like a hard choice to me.  Let's just say your many people
aren't the same folks as my any people.  ;-)

The lack of distname support due to anal retentive accident avoidance in
CPAN is utterly odd considering the culture of DWIMery that is so much a
part of Perl.  I'm not surprised that one person would think this was
good, but the whole Perl community acquiescing to it is quite a shock.

--
</chris>

"Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good;
and when it is bad, it is better than nothing."  -- Dick Brandon

Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not
why we do it.         -- Richard Feynman, physicist and Nobel laureate