develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2005

Re: Module abstract: Is its length still limited?

From:
Mark Stosberg
Date:
Re: Module abstract: Is its length still limited?
Message ID:
20051108140641.GM13266@summersault.com
On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 09:08:40PM -0500, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> * "Andreas J. Koenig" <andreas.koenig.gmwojprw@franz.ak.mind.de> [2005-11-07T17:29:50]
> > I will be very happy if you guys decide something and let me know.
> > I'll adjust the code for the forms on PAUSE then.
>
> Here's my official vote:
>
> (length $module_name + length $abstract + 3) should be under 80.
>
> This means that the whole header and abstract will fit in one line.
> That's more than 44 characters for short module names.  Longer module
> names, which should be pretty descriptive, need shorter abstracts.
>
> Wombat - a framework for building reusable fruit-counting applications
> Application::Framework::FruitCounting - for reusable produce applications

That seems sensible. Perhaps to further relax it, it could be noted that
longer values will be accepted, but they will truncated with an ellipse ("...")
when displayed in a space constrained format, such as a e-mail, or other
documents meant to be read in a terminal.

I'm fine with rjbs proposal as-is for the simplicity.

My refinement would likely require effort of several tool writers to
implement, instead of having the authors simply be concise.

    Mark