develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2005

Re: Module abstract: Is its length still limited?

From:
andreas.koenig.gmwojprw
Date:
Re: Module abstract: Is its length still limited?
Message ID:
87mzki1d6u.fsf@k75.linux.bogus

 >> > This was probably for the sake of the text-only modules list,
 >> which has
 >> > since fallen out of maintenance.
 >> But it's still relevant for the database table that is behind
 >> https://pause.perl.org/pause/authenquery?ACTION=apply_mod
 >> And that's the same table that produces
 >> CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz
 >> which in turn is providing some data to CPAN.pm and CPANPLUS.pm
 >>
  > So, the question I would now ask:  How rigidly should I enforce the
  > 44-character limit if I am guiding someone in the task of creating
  > proper Perl modules?

As the module list is dead, we cannot really argue in favor of 44
characters except with the one argument of tradition/best practice. I
believe when 3815 authos have managed to describe their modules in 44
characters, then it should be doable for some other 3815000 modules
too.

There's an old business advice that you shouldn't start an enterprize
if you cannot describe its mission in a single sentence. I think its
true for modules too.

--
andreas