develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2005

Re: Module abstract: Is its length still limited?

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
Re: Module abstract: Is its length still limited?
Message ID:
436BED51.8090505@yahoo.com
Andreas J. Koenig wrote:

>   > This was probably for the sake of the text-only modules list, which has
>   > since fallen out of maintenance.
>
> But it's still relevant for the database table that is behind
>
>     https://pause.perl.org/pause/authenquery?ACTION=apply_mod
>
> And that's the same table that produces CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz
> which in turn is providing some data to CPAN.pm and CPANPLUS.pm

So, the question I would now ask:  How rigidly should I enforce the
44-character limit if I am guiding someone in the task of creating
proper Perl modules?

This question is relevant because I have taken over maintenance of
ExtUtils::ModuleMaker and a bug has been reported which bears upon the
44-character limit for ABSTRACTs
(https://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=15537).  At the current time
modulemaker is throwing an error message when one exceeds the
44-character limit ... but goes ahead anyway and creates a correct,
CPAN-uploadable framework for a Perl extension.  I either have to
enforce the limit or relax it and change the error message to an
advisory warning.

Since the 44-character limit never applied to modules except those
intended for CPAN, and since it does not now appear to apply to modules
as they appear on search.cpan.org, I'm inclined toward the latter
approach.  Comments?

jimk