develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from November 2005

Re: Name advice: check license of dependencies

From:
Chris Dolan
Date:
Re: Name advice: check license of dependencies
Message ID:
10B82A7E-4EEF-4791-BF76-706CAABBD543@clotho.com
Thanks for the feedback Mark and Sam.  I chose
Module::License::Report and posted my implementation to CPAN this
afternoon.

Further feedback would be VERY welcome, as the module uses a few
sketchy heuristics to guess at the license.  To mitigate the
uncertainty, I made it report a confidence number so the user can set
a sketchiness threshold.  The confidence is just a guess, but it's
better than nothing.  I'm thinking the next version should use
multiple algorithms to guess the license and report higher confidence
if they all agree.

On a side note, I discovered that using Data::Dumper on my output
object causes memory use to go through the roof.  I think
Data::Dumper is chasing into the CPANPLUS data structures and
thrashing my machine.  Is anyone familiar enough with CPANPLUS
internals to know whether Data::Dumper problems are well known, or if
I've stumbled on some new bug?

Thanks all,
Chris

--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software
(http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary
Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)