develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from October 2005

Name advice: check license of dependencies

From:
Chris Dolan
Date:
October 31, 2005 08:07
Name advice: check license of dependencies
Message ID:
A4743511-805A-4BBB-9E09-7F10AD8EB768@clotho.com
I'm toying with starting a new module and would like some naming
advice.  My module will accept the name of another module and, using
CPAN metadata and/or package contents, determine the license of that
module's package and the license of all non-core packages that it in
turn depends on.  This module would be useful for determining
redistribution rights for aggregations of code, like PAR files.  It
will probably employ CPANPLUS, YAML, Module::Depends,
Module::Corelist and a bunch of heuristics to make its determination.

For example, my module CAM::PDF is Artistic/GPL but it depends on
Text::PDF which is just Artistic.  This new module would help me to
discover that fact.

I don't like any of the names I've come up with so far.  It seems
clear that it should be in the Module:: namespace, but beyond that
I'm unsure.  Possibilities:
    Module::GuessLicense
    Module::License
    Module::LicenseChain
    Module::DistributionRights

Thanks,
Chris
--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software
(http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary
Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)