develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from October 2005

Re: Tests needing user parameters

From:
Paul Johnson
Date:
October 20, 2005 03:30
Re: Tests needing user parameters
Message ID:
20051020084534.GD26713@pjcj.net
On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 10:29:10AM +0200, David Landgren wrote:

> If there's a standard way of doing it, it would be really nice that it
> understood when it was being run in a smoke environment, and asked no
> questions and used built-in defaults.

May I just add an AOL here?  It would be very nice if all modules did
the right thing in any batch environment.

I run into this problem with cpancover.  Generating coverage data for a
bunch of modules is trivial compared to the problem of actually
installing the things.

> I haven't had time to look at this issue, but after having been smoking
> CPAN uploads for a while, I'm astonished at the number of modules that
> sit hanging on STDIN waiting for input.

Yes.  And is it one of the Readline modules that sits there on make test
waiting for me to type "exit", meaning that it takes two nights to
generate coverage data rather than one?

--
Paul Johnson - paul@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net