develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from October 2005

Re: Tests needing user parameters

From:
Ken Williams
Date:
October 19, 2005 18:14
Re: Tests needing user parameters
Message ID:
c5bf26c97d052c61cab719ffb9220e3f@mathforum.org

On Oct 19, 2005, at 4:50 PM, Jess Robinson wrote:

> My module will login to a web service and manipulate data
> programmatically.. Nothing critical I assure you, just a tool ;) Since
> theres no dummy/test account that I know of, I'll need the users
> account/email address and password to login.

Typically you'd add some code to the Makefile.PL or Build.PL that asks
the user for a username/password to use for testing, and gives the user
an option to skip those tests.  DBI modules often do this, for example
(where the username/password is for a database to access).

If you're using ExtUtils::MakeMaker, you'll have to find some file to
stash the information, probably somewhere in t/ .  If you're using
Module::Build, have a look at the notes() method, which is for caching
this kind of information.

  -Ken