develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from October 2005

Announcement: Pod::WikiDoc

From:
David Golden
Date:
October 12, 2005 07:17
Announcement: Pod::WikiDoc
Message ID:
434D1AEF.60504@hyperbolic.net
Dear fellow Perl authors,

I've recently released an initial version of Pod::WikiDoc to CPAN:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Pod-WikiDoc/

Pod::WikiDoc is a tool for generating Pod from wiki-text style markup in Pod
format blocks.  I wrote it to decrease what I perceive as the hassle-factor
and screen clutter of writing documentation in Pod (particularly, lists).

Pod::WikiDoc processes text files (or text strings) by extracting both
existing Pod and wikidoc, converting the wikidoc to Pod, and then writing
the combined document back to a file or standard output.

Summary of major features of Pod::WikiDoc:

* Extracts and converts wikidoc from Pod format blocks or special wikidoc
comment blocks

* Extracts and preserves existing Pod

* Provides bold, italic, code, and link markup

* Automatically converts special symbols in wikidoc to their Pod escape
equivalents, e.g. E<lt>, E<gt>

* Preserves other Pod escape sequences, e.g. E<euro>

In addition, Pod::WikiDoc provides a command-line utility, wikidoc, to
simplify wikidoc translation.

Pod::WikiDoc is "self-hosting" -- almost all of its documentation is written
in WikiDoc format blocks, so you can browse the source files to see how it
works in practice.  The Pod and wiki-text are automatically extracted into
.pod files during the build process using a customized Build.PL file.  An
example of how to do this is given in a Cookbook included with the
documentation.

If you feel this might be of use to you, I invite you to download it and try
it out.  Comments, suggestions and other feedback are welcome as I gradually
improve its functionality over time.

Regards,
David Golden