develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from October 2005

Namespace question for new module

From:
Elfyn McBratney
Date:
October 8, 2005 10:20
Subject:
Namespace question for new module
Message ID:
20051008172016.GA5988@gentoo.org
Howdy module-authors :),

I've got a module I've written (currently Devel::ConfigureScript::Perl)
that I'd like to upload to CPAN (after looking for similiar things and
not finding anything similar in extensability or functionality), which,
as you might've guessed, is somewhat akin to autoconf's generated configure
scripts it terms of function.

What I'd like to find out first - before I unleash it upon CPAN users -
is whether a) anyone knows of a module of similar features[1] that I might've
missed and b) whether the Namespace chosen (Devel::ConfigureScript::Perl) is
sane/wise to use/could be better, etc.

Any responses will be much appreciated. :)

Best,
Elfyn

[1] Devel::ConfigureScript::Perl features:

  * Implements most, if not all features found in autoconf (bar automake support)
    - only written in perl;

  * Is simple, easy to use, and more importantly easy to extend;

  * Fully-featured `configure' scripts can be written in as little as 20 lines
    of code, if not less;

  * Uses `perl -V' to retrieve architectual information, instead
    of compiling tests to determine, for example, endian-ness, size
    of a pointer, an int, or a long, etc;

  * And lastly, scratches my itch, so to speak, so might be useful
    to others, too. ;)

--
Elfyn McBratney
Gentoo Developer/Perl Team Lead

PGP Key ID: 0x69DF17AD
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  DBD3 B756 ED58 B1B4 47B9  B3BD 8D41 E597 69DF 17AD