develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from October 2005

Naming a window manager scripting aid

From:
A. Pagaltzis
Date:
October 7, 2005 15:21
Subject:
Naming a window manager scripting aid
Message ID:
20051007222116.GA29424@klangraum
Hi all,

a while ago I wrote pekwm-menu[1], a script that builds various
kinds of menus for the pekwm window manager[2] dynamically
depending on the content of directories, the current XMMS
playlist and other external such sources.

[1]: http://plasmasturm.org/code/pekwm-menu/
[2]: http://pekwm.org/

Now I’ve been wondering about extracting the generic
functionality from the module and sticking it into a module.
There’s no reason this shouldn’t go on CPAN, so I’ve been musing
about the name.

The simplest option would be to take the route that some other
application-specific modules take – just use a toplevel
namespace. The Irssi::* modules are an example.

The better option, I think, would be to signify what this relates
to, which is a window manager. Now the common initialism for that
is “WM”, and indeed there is a bunch of stuff in the CPAN in
X11::WM::.

That would seem like a decent choice, but my conundrum is that
this module has absolutely nothing to do with X11. It just
contains helper functions for creating a text format that pekwm
understands as a menu definition. The modules already in X11::
and X11::WM:: expose some API provided by the window manager.
Pekwm has nothing of the sort; in fact using this module wouldn’t
even require pekwm at all. So putting this module under X11::
sounds really wrong.

The right place would be a namespace that categorise a module as
“(loosely) related to a particular application”, something like
AppSupport:: or Helper:: or what-might-you-have. But no such
thing exists, even though I think it might be worthwhile.

So what do I do?

Regards,
--
#Aristotle
*AUTOLOAD=*_=sub{s/(.*)::(.*)/print$2,(",$\/"," ")[defined wantarray]/e;$1};