develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from September 2005

Re: Module abstract: Is its length still limited?

From:
Sam Vilain
Date:
September 5, 2005 01:46
Re: Module abstract: Is its length still limited?
Message ID:
1125910090.8578.0.camel@localhost.localdomain
On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 21:02 -0400, James E Keenan wrote:
> IIRC, there was once a 44-character limit to the length of a CPAN module
> abstract:  the brief description which follows the module's name in the
> NAME section of POD.
>
> But when I uploaded a module a couple of hours ago, I noted that, at
> least on search.cpan.org, an abstract much longer than 44 characters was
> fully displayed.
>
> Has this restriction been relaxed?  Did it ever exist?  I searched
> perlmod, perlnewmod, perlmodstyle, etc., as well as googling this
> group's archives, but came up with very little re module abstracts?

This was probably for the sake of the text-only modules list, which has
since fallen out of maintenance.

Sam.