develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from February 2005

Name for GStreamer bindings

From:
Torsten Schoenfeld
Date:
February 22, 2005 16:20
Subject:
Name for GStreamer bindings
Message ID:
1109118051.16518.24.camel@localhost
Aloha,

GStreamer is a powerful and pretty popular media framework.  GNOME
already uses it extensively, and KDE just started to.  It's based on
GLib and uses its object oriented C API style.  The objects have names
like GstQueue or GstElement.

For similar objects like GtkWindow or GnomeIconList in other libraries,
us Gtk2-Perl people tend to directly map them to namespaces:
Gtk2::Window and Gnome2::IconList.  For smaller libraries like libwnck
or librsvg, on the other hand, we try not to pollute the top-level
namespace: Gnome2::Wnck::Screen, Gnome2::Rsvg::Handle, etc.

For GStreamer, I would tend towards using Gst as a namespace.  It
matches the C objects' names.  It's short to type, which is not
unimportant since it's not like the typical Perl OO module where the
full package name only appears once when using the constructor -- the
GStreamer bindings contain a lot of objects with their own constructors,
many of which almost all programs will use.  It's not directly
GNOME-related.  And lastly, Gst has a precedent: the Python bindings
also use this namespace.

On the con side, there's of course the introduction of a new top-level
namespace.  One that is an abbreviation and not easily recognizable.

So, if you were to write Perl bindings for GStreamer, what namespace
would you use?

--
Thanks,
-Torsten