develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from February 2005

CPAN cruft cleanup?

From:
Linda W
Date:
February 20, 2005 18:32
Subject:
CPAN cruft cleanup?
Message ID:
42194820.4080003@tlinx.org

I was looking through my CPAN directory and noticed that I
have older versions for various CPAN functions going back
to 1999.

Is there any good reason why I would need to keep versions older
than about a year or two around?  I can't, for example, see
why I would want to keep around versions 1.17-2.19 (35 versions)
of Config-General (in Perl_Core_Modules/Config).

Should there be some auto maintenance that isn't being
performed or is there some auto-maintenance that I should
be doing to delete these old versions?  I find it hard to
believe I've been downloading CPAN modules on this system
since 1999, but that is the year I got this system.  But
I don't remember using CPAN that far back (maybe I was...
I am getting forgetful these days...hmmmmm....)

I'm currently using the shared CPAN database for 2 perl
installations, a SuSELinux back at 5.8.3, and a cygwin
version at 5.8.6.

Thanks...no wonder computer cruft just keeps growing and
growing....I sure don't remember that many version downloads.

Sigh...
thanks,
Linda