develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from May 2004

Namespace convenions

From:
Erik Norgaard
Date:
May 18, 2004 11:52
Subject:
Namespace convenions
Message ID:
20040518201358.I20894@strange.locolomo.org
Hi,

I just browsed through the namespace guidelines and the concern
about avoiding the namspace to clutter up.

So I was wondering if there are some reserved namespace tags such
as for mime-types: X- for experimental, maybe P- for proprietary
or private. Of course this would just mean that the X- space would
clutter up, but the idea is that if you use X-modules then you
asked for it :-)

As modules mature they could be adopted into the registred name-
space, dropping the X-.

As it is right now module registration is an all or none. With the
above new modules could appear and mature, merge with others or
disappear without getting into the regiestrered namespace only to
become obsolete or unsupported.

I also ask to avoid unintentional conflicts when brewing my own
modules, such as File::X-Backup instead of File::Backup.

Just a thought, cheers, Erik
PS: sorry - i'm new on the list :-)

GnuPG Key: http://www.locolomo.org/home/norgaard/norgaard.gpg.asc
pub  1024D/B02CC311 2004-04-05 Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
     Key fingerprint = 6C11 B9B1 52BD F16D 34AD  9893 D3EC E6DB B02C C311