develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from May 2004

New module - (session/authentication) seeking a name

From:
jmiller
Date:
May 8, 2004 19:37
Subject:
New module - (session/authentication) seeking a name
Message ID:
20040508215219.G10984@maverick.purifieddata.net
Hi all,

I'd like to release a module I've been using/maintaining for a while. My
name for it is currently:
	WWW::Authen::Simple

I'm looking for naming suggestions, and feedback on the module (if anyone
is interested in looking at it).

It provides authentication via database, session handling (cookie based),
and group based authorization with optional read/write bits on each group.
It's also compatable with normal CGI scripts, mod_perl (1 and 2), and
likely compatable with any webserver.

It's goal is to provide a very simple API to handle sessions and
authentication.

I wrote it because I needed something simple to handle sessions,
authentication, and authorization.
Apache::Session just does sessions, and is tied to apache. CGI::Session
is very flexable, but only does sessions.
CGI::Session::Auth I probably could have worked off of, but there isn't
much there at all, and I'd probably have to subclass it, and override just
about every method. And there are others.

I hadn't released it because there are so many other modules in the same
realm. However, it has matured, and I think it offeres a unique way of
doing things that others might find useful.

The module is currently available at:
    http://www.purifieddata.net/pm/WWW-Authen-Simple-1.19.tar.gz

Please note, I'll be adding tests to it before releasing (there are
currently none).

Thanks in advance,
--
Josh I.