develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from December 2003

Re: New module Algorithm::Interval2Prefix

From:
Lars Thegler
Date:
Re: New module Algorithm::Interval2Prefix
Message ID:
005101c3baa2$1fd3fa40$6400000a@marvin
On Thursday, December 04, 2003 7:49 PM, Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com
wrote:

> Lars> I totally agree that when generating prefixes from number
> Lars> intervals, this depends squarely on the involved numbers being
> Lars> the same number of digits.  But telephone numbers *will* be the
> Lars> same length in the same prefix-area[2].
>
> Lars> [2] Since this is the only way the telephony switch can know
> Lars> when the number you are dialling is 'complete'.
>
> That's not true in Japan, where the area codes are variable length.
> The local numbers are fixed, so they can make that decision (when the
> complete number is dialed) after they have parsed the area code.
>
> The way I beleive it works (I lived in Japan from 1988 to 1994, but I
> beleive this is still true today), is that the length of the area code
> depends on the 2nd digit.

That sounds perfectly reasonable. Any number analysis must depend on some
part of the prefix (area code or similar) determining the length of the
number.

/Lars