New modules

From:
Oliver White
Date:
November 12, 2003 12:23
Subject:
New modules
Message ID:
200311122022.01218.oliver.white@blibbleblobble.co.uk
Hiya. I'm about to start work on some GIS programming in Perl, and will likely
end up with a few modules that might usefully go onto CPAN.

From what I've read on the FAQs though, it seems like a bit of a minefield to
choose a name that someone else doesn't want, and to find out if anyone's
already working in the same area.  I did some searches on the CPAN website
for likely modules, while the documentation suggests I ask on some mailing
lists, which I presume includes this one?

As a first step, I was considering adding a module to read GSHHS data [a
binary format for coastline data] and give it a name something like
Geo::GSHHS.  More info at the site:
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/wessel/gshhs/gshhs.html

Any comments?  Is this the right place to ask?  Is there already code
somewhere that does it?  Would anyone be offended if I wrote the module?

Thanks,

Oliver White

www.blibbleblobble.co.uk