Re: How to indicate a dependency in my module

From:
Randy W. Sims
Date:
Re: How to indicate a dependency in my module
Message ID:
3FB012C4.2020801@ThePierianSpring.org
darren chamberlain wrote:

> * Randy W. Sims <RandyS at ThePierianSpring.org> [2003-11-10 15:49]:
>
>>Also, as I noted in the AFS thread the other day, this info should be
>>written in META.yml so that cpan-testers can determine programatically
>>whether a module should be tested. Info like required non-perl packages
>>and libraries, whether the build/test/install process is interactive (or
>>scriptable) or automated, and whether it runs only on certain OSs or
>>excludes certain OSs.
>

> I like this idea; I must have not been paying close enough attention to
> your other message.  How could it be done, though?  I can see a simple
> exression -> expected value scheme working for a lot of things (e.g.,
> "$^0 eq 'MacOS'", or "eval { getpwuid };" ), but how would things like
> AFS be detectible?
>
> (darren)

I'm making this up as I go, but I'm thinking that META.yml would just
contain a list of required packages and possibly the minimum version
required. Initially, that should be enough to flag it for cpan-testers.
Ideally, there would be a module (Module::Build::Configure) that could
try to determine whether those requirements are satisfied for a
particular system. This could be done by a which/where like routine to
search for binaries, looking for config files, analyzing the install log
of package managers like rpm, dpkg, etc.

In addition for larger packages like Apache there could be, for example
an Module::Build::Configure::Apache module that provided other usefull
info about that package like paths and other configuration info that
might be usefull to module authors.

Randy.