Proposed Name Space Geo::Data::*

From:
Aran Deltac
Date:
November 8, 2003 03:00
Subject:
Proposed Name Space Geo::Data::*
Message ID:
20031107180623.60190.qmail@onion.perl.org
This is a request for comments and opinions concerning a set of modules
I have recently developed.

** I originally posted to comp.lang.perl.modules by mistake.  I got one
response and will be posting it here to perl.module-authors. **

I propose to release the beginning of a large repository of geographic
data made available on a high-level through perl objects.  Currently the
data I have organized and modularized is local to the United States. The
data is ZCTA (Census Zip Code Tabulation Area, essentialy Zip Codes),
States, Counties, Places (Cities and others), Airports (including
baloonports and others), and Airport  Runways.  I intend to include
other parts of the world as time permits.

The intent of this data is for general purpose geographic comparison -
not graphical mapping!  Every data type has a single longitude,
latitude, name, and id.  Each data type may from there add whatever
additional information.  Airports for example have 40 additional fields.
  Each module is linked in to my Geo::Distance module so that you can do
something like  $place->closest(50=>'mile','US::Airport'); to find the
closest airports within a 50 mile radius of the place.  Also,
$place->distance($other_place,'mile');.

The Makefile.PLs will include the ability to download the latest data
file from my server for the particular module being installed.  I intend
to make bundles for downloading groups of these modules.

This first version of the modules will be considered unstable, with the
prediction that the API will be changeing until the stable release is
ready.  Currently I'm using my own Class::DBI-like Class for these
modules, but I would like to officially move to Class::DBI at some
point.  Also, this first version is most likely using MySQL specific
sql.  This will also change as the modules get closer to stable status.

The proposed namespaces are:

Geo::Data::*
Geo::Data::Country
Geo::Data::US::State
Geo::Data::US::County
Geo::Data::US::ZCTA
Geo::Data::US::Place
Geo::Data::US::Airport
Geo::Data::US::Runway

Bundle::Geo::Data
Bundle::Geo::Data::US
Class::GeoData

I want to hear people either cry or laugh hysterically before I actually
show some code (I need to pod and do some organizing on it too).  So,
anyone find this intriguing?

Also, are these namespaces ok?

Aran