develooper Front page | perl.module-authors | Postings from March 2002

Re: Config with properties

From:
Adekunle Olonoh
Date:
March 4, 2002 14:31
Re: Config with properties
Message ID:
1015281295.1270.4.camel@localhost.localdomain
I don't mean to be negative, but there are a *LOT* of config-related
modules on CPAN right now and IMHO, the differences you've shown don't
seem to warrant another yet another config module.  Have you contacted
the author of Config::Properties to see if he'd be interested in merging
your changes into it?  That may be a good first step to take.

> Yes, but I rejected it due to its alpha status, unneeded complexity
> and because it relies on whitespace indentation to represent
> structure. Imagine what happens if people start editing the files and
> use tabs with different presets?.
>
> (I also rejected most other Config::* and XML::* modules for varying
 reasons.)

There are a lot of alpha modules on CPAN, but instead of adding another
alpha module I'd encourage you to work towards bringing an existing one
to beta or release status.  We'll all benefit much better from having a
few modules worked on by several developers each, rather than a
multitude of single-developer modules with overlapping functionality.

Have you looked at Config::General?  It looks mature, full-featured,
simple to use, and basically meets all your requirements.

--Ade.