develooper Front page | perl.makemaker | Postings from January 2006

Re: replacing "inuse" Win files (was Re: Help with a Cwd.pm builderror)

From:
Linda W
Date:
January 31, 2006 00:29
Re: replacing "inuse" Win files (was Re: Help with a Cwd.pm builderror)
Message ID:
43DEA5E6.6010106@tlinx.org
Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
> But if you are installing over an existing perl install you have
> to close all instances of perl. Which in my case includes the perl
> embeded in my mail client and text editor, and a whole slew of
> UNIX-like command line tools that _might_ be running in another
> console.
---
	From the subject line, I thought we were talking about
installing "Cwd.pm" from CPAN, where it installs, tests and builds
while running under an instance of perl.

> (But these days I tend to just use ActivePerl on Win32 and that
>  uses MSintaller so do this.)
---
	In regards to replacing the entire perl-package, I can see an
installer, possibly, giving the advice to exit perl before updating the
perl package, but I don't see a reason why you'd have to exit
other gnunix type commands unless they were in the same package.

	Cygwin's setup understands windows "in-use" files and knows
to use the MoveFile API.  If you update a component that is in-use,
you get the message after setup has installed the package:
	"In-use files have been replaced.  You need to reboot as soon as
	possible to activate the new versions.  Cygwin may operate
	incorrectly until you reboot."

	This is only displayed the files are actually in-use.  If you
re-run setup w/o the files being in-use they will install correctly,
though previously moves are not affected (and still scheduled for
moving on reboot).