develooper Front page | perl.makemaker | Postings from January 2006

Re: replacing "inuse" Win files (was Re: Help with a Cwd.pm builderror)

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
January 30, 2006 12:27
Re: replacing "inuse" Win files (was Re: Help with a Cwd.pm builderror)
Message ID:
20060130202651.22250.3@llama.ing-simmons.net
Demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Thus, one could rename Cwd.dll -> .oldCwd.foo, copy the new
>> > file into place, then setup a pending delete in the registry
>> > with a simple command line util like "sysinternals.com"'s
>> > "movefile" that queues up pending file operations to take
>> > place upon reboot, i.e.: 'movefile .oldCWD.foo ""' will delete
>> > the named file next reboot.
>
>We dont need this behaviour as we arent going to be dealing with any
>DLL's that will be started prior to perl starting. Move at boot
>behaviour is only required for dlls that are loaded at boot. Since the
>files we care about are only locked because of Perl we only need close
>perl.

But if you are installing over an existing perl install you have
to close all instances of perl. Which in my case includes the perl
embeded in my mail client and text editor, and a whole slew of
UNIX-like command line tools that _might_ be running in another
console.

(But these days I tend to just use ActivePerl on Win32 and that
 uses MSintaller so do this.)