develooper Front page | perl.makemaker | Postings from January 2006

Re: Help with a Cwd.pm build error

From:
demerphq
Date:
January 25, 2006 09:54
Re: Help with a Cwd.pm build error
Message ID:
9b18b3110601250815g6170b7d3m516108e65b54f93f@mail.gmail.com
On 1/25/06, Randy W. Sims <ml-perl@thepierianspring.org> wrote:
> Too tired to think properly, but...
>
> demerphq wrote:
> > Also, something that would be really useful would be a way to force
> > perl to close all files. Ie, to unload all dll's, close any intenral
> > filehandles kept open for __DATA__ and __END__ etc. Then this batch
> > file malarky would be totally unnecessary.
>
> I noticed recently that Steve(?) fixed Dynaloader::dl_unload_file() so
> that it now on Windows. It /might/ be possible to unload the module &
> reload it after the copy, but I'm not sure how safe that is...

IMO almost as important is the ability to force all the DATA handles
closed. But the ability to unload DLL's is a big step forward.

> It would likely have to be done soley inside EU::Install: determine if
> file about to be copied is locked, unload, copy, reload, pray. Seems too
> iffy.

Insofar as it involves using dl_unload_file() it sounds somewhat
plausable. Not sure about other circumstances.

> I'll try to put more thought into it tomorrow.

Sure.  No rush, im not in competition for that meter of beer. :-)

Cheers,
Yves