develooper Front page | perl.makemaker | Postings from April 2003

Re: How do you force make to overwrite all files upon make install?

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
April 30, 2003 16:31
Re: How do you force make to overwrite all files upon make install?
Message ID:
20030430233128.GA701@windhund.schwern.org
On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 07:24:39AM -0700, DH wrote:
> > > bother
> > > since it would be a no-op.  'make install' will do that by default.
> > > How is
> > > it not overwriting?
>
> I don't know how the modification detection is being done,
> i'm not particularly interested,
> I just  want to force an overwrite regardless.

It checks size, modification time and ultimately uses File::Compare.

I can't see the need to force an overwrite if the files are exactly the same,
so I'm not inclined to implement an "always overwrite" feature.  Some major
convincing would be in order.

--
"Congratulations, you're a thieving bastard... Now give me back my pants."
"That's MISTER Pants!"