develooper Front page | perl.macperl.porters | Postings from April 2004

RIP ExtUtils::MM_MacOS

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
April 2, 2004 12:24
RIP ExtUtils::MM_MacOS
Message ID:
20040402202305.GA7909@localhost
MacPerl is now officially unsupported by MakeMaker.

When I originally started fixing up MakeMaker, I took pains to make the
necessary changes to MM_MacOS so it would, in theory, continue to work.
But due to a lack of response from MacPerl users, I haven't bothered keeping
MM_MacOS up to date for a long time.  As a result, MM_MacOS fell quite out
of date with the rest of MakeMaker and no longer works.

So, for the following reasons,  I decided to delete the MacPerl code.

* I've gotten no reports or patches from MacPerl users in the last year.
* My posts to macperl-porters for help have gotten little response.
* macperl-porters@perl.org has had no real activity since last June.
* OS X seems to be doing a fine job of driving MacOS Classic into the grave
* The code duplication in MM_MacOS.pm is prohibitive to keep in sync with
  the rest of MakeMaker.
* MakeMaker never worked very well on MacPerl.
* Module::Build works better on MacPerl than MakeMaker ever did and work has
  started on a MakeMaker to Module::Build converter.

Anyone wishing to resurrect MacPerl support can recover the code either
from 6.21 or CVS, though honestly you'd probably be better of starting
from scratch or helping Module::Build.

I did leave some bits of MacPerl support in MakeMaker, namely the auxillary
libraries like ExtUtils::Install and ExtUtils::Manifest that other
modules (like Module::Build) rely on.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern@pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
If God made anything more guerrila than your breast, I hope he kept it for