Front page | perl.macperl.porters |
Postings from April 2004
From: Michael G Schwern
April 2, 2004 12:24
Message ID: 20040402202305.GA7909@localhost
MacPerl is now officially unsupported by MakeMaker.
When I originally started fixing up MakeMaker, I took pains to make the
necessary changes to MM_MacOS so it would, in theory, continue to work.
But due to a lack of response from MacPerl users, I haven't bothered keeping
MM_MacOS up to date for a long time. As a result, MM_MacOS fell quite out
of date with the rest of MakeMaker and no longer works.
So, for the following reasons, I decided to delete the MacPerl code.
* I've gotten no reports or patches from MacPerl users in the last year.
* My posts to macperl-porters for help have gotten little response.
* email@example.com has had no real activity since last June.
* OS X seems to be doing a fine job of driving MacOS Classic into the grave
* The code duplication in MM_MacOS.pm is prohibitive to keep in sync with
the rest of MakeMaker.
* MakeMaker never worked very well on MacPerl.
* Module::Build works better on MacPerl than MakeMaker ever did and work has
started on a MakeMaker to Module::Build converter.
Anyone wishing to resurrect MacPerl support can recover the code either
from 6.21 or CVS, though honestly you'd probably be better of starting
from scratch or helping Module::Build.
I did leave some bits of MacPerl support in MakeMaker, namely the auxillary
libraries like ExtUtils::Install and ExtUtils::Manifest that other
modules (like Module::Build) rely on.
Michael G Schwern firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
If God made anything more guerrila than your breast, I hope he kept it for
by Michael G Schwern